Monday, February 3, 2014

Living in a Life Magazine: Swimsuit for the Curvy Vintage Lover

 
I have been obsessed with vintage 50's/60's swimsuits for as long as I can remember. I never felt comfortable in a tiny bikini no matter what size I was - bottoms just never covered my bottom! So when the high-waisted bottoms became a trend - a more accessible one than just buying an actual vintage swimsuit, I had had HAD to find one. Which was not as easy as you might think. 

But I ended up lucking out sooo very well. I got this entire suit at Target! The bottoms are made by ASSETS which honestly, I thought looked like it was marketed towards plus-size matronly ladies. I wanted the bottoms to be high-waisted but not dumpy-looking. And I am about one size under plus-size, which as far as adorable swimsuits are concerned, is kind of a bummer because there are a lot of adorable ones I've found online that are exactly what I was looking for! So I tried on these bottoms but I figured they'd be a little too big in size or a little too big in granny-coverage. Well, hot dog if they weren't exactly what I was looking for! I'm a size 8 and I ended up getting the XL. My only complaint about the suit bottoms is that the material is a little strange for putting on sunscreen - the white shows up on it. So I recommend putting sun screen on before you put on the suit. They still have the bottoms up on Target's website (and they're in spa blue as well, I see!) 

The top is from Mossimo, which I'm sorry to say is no longer on the Target website. I wanted to get a suit top that had underwire and push-up padding. Yup, I wanted bigger bazookas. Not because I wanted a more sexy swim suit (although that might be an added perk) but because I wanted to balance out my larger lower half and enhance my little upper-half. I was tired of those little triangle clothes that did nothing to help me out. I love how the black and white stripes adds to the vintage feel, almost giving it a nautical vibe. However, I'm not sure if I would ever get a black and white bathing suit ever again. The chlorine turns the white yellow and it's a chore to try and keep the white fresh when you swim as much as I do. This top will probably have to go soon, but the good news is my bottoms can stay - they match everything!! 

oh and p.s. - the entire swim suit was $50!

This is probably the first swim suit I've ever owned where I feel 100% comfortable in my body and I feel like I look great. I've tried the tankini thing but while I am comfortable in it, I feel like I look slumpy and boring - not my style at all. But with this, I feel like everything I want covered is, I don't have to worry about alway sucking in my stomach, having my lil belly hang out unflatteringly or mooning someone - the swimsuit just makes sure it's right where it needs to be at all times. I don't think I will ever go back to regular bottoms - it's too much fun feeling like you're in a Life magazine! 

I think every girl deserves a swim suit where she says to herself, Heck yeeeeah, I look goooood! I hope you find one that works for you! Would you ever wear high-waisted swim suit bottoms?










Swimsuit Bottoms: Target | Swimsuit Top: Target (similar) | Sunhat: Gift | Sunglasses: H&M

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a stunning bathing suit! I've actually never looked at the bathing suits at Target. My excuse is that it's new(ish) to Canada, not that I've lived under a rock :)

    I'm always a bit self conscious about the bottoms, so I'm going to have to check for those ones at my Target.

    xo Jackie
    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look awesome!
    I love the black and white. I really love almost anything with a high waist. I have a long torso, so high waist bottoms are really great to elongate legs, and it has that classic vintage look that I love

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a beautiful hourglass silhouette! Positively retro! <3

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look amazing in this bathing suit, such a perfect find at Target!
    velvetandvino.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute bathing suit!! Target is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures! Now,I want to go for vocation! Come over to enter the Victoria Secret giveaway.
    http://www.fabuloustorture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this post and been looking at it a lot to choose some swimwear. Inspired to buy this from asos, and it's pretty damn cute. Thanks for hte inspiration, as always ^^

    Esprit Simpson Bay High Waist Shaping Bikini Bottom

    ReplyDelete
  8. oops my html failed, here is the link

    http://us.asos.com/Esprit-Simpson-Bay-High-Waist-Shaping-Bikini-Bottom/11twnk/?iid=3425908&mporgp=L0VzcHJpdC9Fc3ByaXQtU2ltcHNvbi1CYXktSGlnaC1XYWlzdC1TaGFwaW5nLUJpa2luaS1Cb3R0b20vUHJvZC8.

    ReplyDelete
  9. “Walk in a good way. Walk tall and powerful as you are meant to be, for times and times to come.” — a blessing given by a Greenland Eskimo friend
    white pumps

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know more of a road by having traveled it than by all the conjectures and descriptions in the world.
    pumps heels

    ReplyDelete

Please Drop Me a Line!

09 10 UA-45388413-1